Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Grades K- 12 Podcasts

There are podcasts that are uploaded to iTunes which are useful for grades K-12. The podcasts that I found deal with geography in the subject of science. The podcasts are excellent to use in classrooms to show scientific demonstrations or short video clips. They educate with better explanations of an area of interest and can be very useful to teachers in their classrooms. I viewed and listened to various podcasts that were very interesting to me from grades K-12.

I viewed and listened to a podcast for grades K-5 that was of interest to me which was titled "Solar Eclipse". It would also be an excellent video to show my students. They can see how the moon casts a shadow on the Earth when it is between the sun and the Earth while revolution and rotation takes place. They can also observe what an umbra (full shadow of the moon) and a penumbra (partial shadow of the moon) looks like on Earth.

I also viewed and listened to a grades 6-8 podcast titled "Why Doesn't the Moon Fall Down?". This podcast is very informative and demonstrative of how the moon does constantly fall down around the Earth because of gravity. It shows how its steady balance of speed and gravity creates an orbit without it hitting or falling down to the Earth. The grades 9-12 podcast "What is a Planet?" will also be interesting to show to my students. This podcast tells about how there may be more planets in the universe than the ones we know of today.

3 comments:

Jennifer Averitt said...

Good job. I was very glad to see a post regarding something other than the solar system. Keep up the good work.

Kimberly Pierce's EDM310 Blog said...

It seems these examples of podcasts would be very useful in the classroom!

Jill said...

I decided to watch the solar eclipse one even after I had finished my blog.