Monday, December 1, 2008

Electronic Contact Assignment

Electronically contacting someone isn't that difficult if you have Internet access. There are several ways that people can make contacts and have conversations over the Internet. With the advancement of technology people can e-mail, blog, use Facebook, My Space and other avenues of electronic contact to talk to someone long distance. For my electronic contact assignment I chose to get involved in a discussion forum on Teacher.net.

I started a discussion by asking teachers questions about what I can expect during my first years of teaching. I received a few helpful responses to this question. One teacher said that my expectations will depend on how well college prepares me for teaching. I was also told by the same person that my personality can play a role in my experiences as well. Another teacher said that I will probably have to change schools or grade levels a few times because I will be at the bottom of the seniority list. The teacher also advised me to write lesson plans often during my student teaching.

There was another discussion that I started with teachers in the state of California. I asked for some classroom management techniques that really work. One teacher responded with helpful advice. The teacher recommended that I read Harry Wong's book titled "The First Days of School" and some of the articles on the website under his tab as well as some other things that I can do. I responded back to the teacher to offer my thanks and to tell of my experience with Harry Wong's book from my classroom management class.

The state of New York was another place where I contacted teachers. I asked about what I can expect if I plan to teach in New York. I received several responses that helped me think twice about teaching there. My reason is mainly because some of the teachers responded that there are no jobs and another said that I should expect disrespect there. I responded back to one of the teachers by answering two questions that were addressed to me about my certification and why I chose to teach in New York.

1 comment:

Jennifer Averitt said...

Good job Tomeka. Don't let people influence you too much if you want to teach in New York. I like to offer, what I call, "Food for Thought". Take the advice you have received, mull it over, and then make your own decision. If anything, try teaching in New York, if you don't like it, apply elsewhere. You will at least have some teaching experience then. Good luck in your future endeavors.